As always this time of year, I think a lot about our responsibilities as pet owners. It’s a huge subject, but I have prepared a short list with the points to consider BEFORE getting a pet.
- Never buy pets as presents. Seriously, there are no exeptions.
- Make sure you can afford a pet in terms of money and time.
- Do your research: use sources you can trust, beware of puppy farms and dishonest breeders. And as silly as it might sound: check the shelter, too (use genuine dog charities, public or private, doesn’t matter-all have to be registered and inspected).
- Pets are not a solution to every problem. If you’re in a bad place in your life you might need help not a dog.
- Follow your brain first. Then follow your heart. Love will make everything easier.