- Dogs keep you fit. They need daily walks, they like playing, chasing, jumping, exploring…
- Dogs keep you healthy. Physically: because of the walks, because they might reduce the risk of allergies, they might even detect cancer! Mentally: because you have a sense of purpose, you’re loved and needed, they help you relax and have a soothing effect on shattered nerves.
- Dogs improve your social life. I’ve met my best friend while walking Ardbeg. Most of my friends are fellow dog owners, including a (now married) couple, who met walking their dogs. It’s impossible not to meet people when you have a dog!
- Dogs make you appreciate the world around you. Mainly because they take you out. But also because they are so much in love with it.
- Dogs teach you about yourself and other people. They are highly sociable and react to human emotions. It makes you think about your reactions to what happens to you, question your reasons, analyse your behaviour. Most dogs are also good judges of character, (though this is not based on any scientific data)
- Dogs make you a better person. Because you are responsible for someone else, someone who depends on you. Because they put things into perspective. They might make you drink less alcohol -as they reduce the need to be intoxicated and even if you end up in a pub after a walk it’s better than just spending all your time there.
- Dogs make you happy. The walks, the play time, the funny things they do every day, the unconditional love- everything gives you a boost of endorphins or oxytocin. The scent of my dogs immediately makes me blissfully unaware of everything that is wrong with the world.
(Bonus) 3 reasons why you should get a rescue dog:
1.You feel a better person.
And it’s good to feel good.
2.They appreciate the home you gave them more.
Because they don’t take it for granted.
3.They give you the sense of achievement.
Because with a little love they change so much-and it feels great to be the reason behind this change!